Always wanted to be in charge in the middle? Applications are open now for $1000 Youth Umpire Scholarships at Northern Districts Cricket. Available for aspiring umpires aged between 16-23 looking to achieve their Level 3 qualification.
By successfully completing the scholarship you will receive $1000 training fee
(paid to umpires in 2 installments. First installment at sign up and balance at the end of the
Enrollment onto the
ND scholarship training programme includes:
- Contact with ND's umpire manager and Regional Training
- One to one sessions with umpire manager/Regional Training
- 4 group sessions
- 6 boundary assessments
- Opportunity to
umpire in games
- Gaining an official
- Having the confidence
and knowledge to stand in games
- Ongoing support
throughout this season and beyond
- Becoming a valued member of
the ND umpiring group
Enrolled participants are required to:
- Attend all group
sessions and one to one's with umpire manager
- Complete the level 3
umpire course by end of March 2018
- To umpire a minimum
of 6 games throughout the season.
To apply contact Cliff Dickeson at Northern Districts Cricket on 0274 802 789 or email.
Become an Umpire or Scorer
I Want To Be An Umpire or Scorer. How Do I Start?
Initially make contact with your local District Cricket Association who will direct you to their Umpire/Scorer Association and their Recruitment and Training Officer OR make direct contact with the NDC Umpire Manager:
Andy Connors Email Andy
What Umpire/Scorer courses and training material is available through NDCUSA?
Local training officers within each District Association have access to a range of material designed to target the various groups of umpires/scorers from those coming in at "grassroots level" (Level 1) to those who have been actively involved for several seasons and keen to pursue a "Professional" career at National and International levels (Level 5).
This material is available in written booklet form or on line. Examples include:
- Umpiring at the beginning
- Introduction to Umpiring
- Introduction to Scoring
- The Player Umpires Companion
- The Umpires Companion ( published by NZCUSA)
- Tom Smith's Cricket Umpiring and Scoring
- MCC's The Laws of Cricket ( the blue book)
What are the attributes of a good umpire and scorer?
- Ability to make unbiased decisions and take responsibility for those decisions
- Honest with respect for self and others
- Confident with good communication skills
- Knowledgeable of the game and it's Laws
- Have a love for the game
- Take pride in the role both on and off the field
District Association Contacts for Umpires and Scorers
Northland: Geoff Ogle: 0210408640, Email Geoff
Counties/Manukau: John Dempsey: 021771965, Email John
Hamilton: Llewellyn Els: 021444614, Email Llewellyn
Waikato Valley: Mike Friis: 0275682747, Email Mike
Bay of Plenty: Kevin Earl: 0274878219, Email Kevin
Poverty Bay: David MacDonald: 0274655114 Email Dave